Thursday, August 18, 2011

Stereotypical... It's what the average radio is supposed to be like!

8/18/11
So once upon a time I read this book by Relient K that was about ‘the complex infrastructure known as the female mind’ and it talked about different types of girls and what made them tick and what didn’t and all this other stuff… and it really was a cool book, which, if you read while listening to Relient K is even better. But I decided, after completing the book, I am not your average girl… I have since come to the conclusion that there is no such thing as the ‘average girl’. It is, in fact, our uniquenesses that make us like other girls (if you understand what I’m saying!)

So here are some stereotypical girls and why I am not one of them:
Nerds: Okay, I don’t really know if the word  ‘nerd’ is politically correct or not. These are the girls that are super smart and read a lot. They know about computers (and if you’ve ever seen saved by the bell, they wear glasses, pigtails and some sort of overall, plaid, jumper thing!) They know all the answers and they are into strange things, such as sci-fi, or techno music.
Well, I was toward the top of my class in high school and at camp I seem to be the one people turn to to fix the computer, but I am not a nerd… I don’t like strange things (okay, actually I do, but not quote on quote nerdy, strange things) Also, I try to avoid pigtails and I have perfect vision!
Jocks: These are the girls that are pretty much not girls. They only dress in sweats or gym shorts and they only talk about sports or… more sports. These girls have ridiculous guns that scare off wimpy boys and deep voices. It also seems like they smell like boys and tend to bully girlier girls in the locker room and halls. It is rare that you see these girls dressed up, and probably only because they were forced to by some concerned mother or coach who wants his team to look good before a big game… and you will NEVER see these girls with their hair done nicely!
I am not a jock… I show some signs of jock-ness( though I hope my voice isn’t too deep and I really hope I don’t smell like a man!) I love sports and I do enjoy the occasional sports related conversation. I am not super strong and I like to look pretty, more and more as I get older and older!
Cheerleaders/ Popular Girls: Miss Popularity is the girl who is captain of the cheer squad and dating the captain of the football team. She is probably homecoming queen and she dresses up every day. She is always happy, well not always, and she always seems to get what she wants. This is the girl who has a little posse of others following her… constantly, and she probably refuses to talk to those who don’t fit into her perfect little world. Most of you know her as the snobby, mean girl who no one likes but everyone lets rule the school. She is in charge with her perfect nails and hair and clothes. Yep, totally not me… I try to dress nicely but I never look perfectly made up and I spend tops 5 minutes on my makeup a day… and my hair, well it does what it wants (it has a mind of it’s own…)

Okay, you get the picture, the world shows us what different girls are supposed to act like, but realistically no girl fits totally into one category. I know some pretty awesome cheerleaders, who were also jock-ish back in the day. And I know some ‘nerds’ that dress more stylishly than other people I know… Really, who sets these standards for us!?!?! I mean, really, why does tv always have to have such cliché characters? I mean, write a story about a regular high school girl, who isn’t drop dead gorgeous and can’t get the guy… see how that flies! = )
Okay, this was sort of a lame post, but it’s what I was feeling/ thinking about! PS- we should totally try to create new stereotypical groups, such as bicycle girls and facebook girls (oops, that’s all of us), and vampire loving girls and girls who can’t wink… Yea, that could be fun!! = )  

No comments:

Post a Comment