Sunday, August 28, 2011

Mr. Dream Man vs. Mr. Right for Me


Okay, have you ever had a dream about some wonderful guy…’the man of your dreams’ and something dreadful happens of course, but he is there to rescue you from your misery and then of course you realize he is in love with you… You know that dream? Maybe it follows a night full of junk food and chick flicks or maybe it comes after a night of football (in my case) But really the situation is not important, what is important is what you see… Why is it that you can never see the guy’s face, I mean really, maybe if God would just let you get a glimpse of the face you would know who your ‘dream guy’ really is. That’s not how it works though, you never see the face, at least I don’t, and then you are left to wonder, ‘who is this mystery man?’ Where is my real man?’ and ‘Where is the coffee?’
So anyways, I was thinking about my ‘dream man’ and I realized just how potentially non realistic he really is. Here is a list of the qualities my ‘dream man’ has… Keep in mind this is the man of my dreams not the man of my reality!

Tall
Dark
Athletic (muscular for sure, and he either plays or coaches some sort of sport)
Deep Voice
Great Cook
Wonderful with Kids
Funny (but not in a cheesy kind of way, but kind of in a cheesy sort of way, you know, a guy that will complement my sense of humor, which is a task in its self!)
A Christian (This is a must! In fact I used to daydream about guys who weren’t Christians who would become a Christian and then sweep me off my feet… that’s what they always do in Christian fictions!)
Great with My Family
Outgoing
Great Singing Voice
A leader in the church and community
Attractive
Likes Coffee
Plays Guitar
Wears #15 for the Denver Broncos (okay, maybe that is just a little celebrity crush!)
Etc…

Okay, so you can probably see why said ‘dream man’ has not waltzed into my life, but really I was thinking about it, why would I want this idealistic man who is perfect… I don’t want a perfect husband… oh gosh, if I have a perfect husband that puts a lot of pressure on me to be a perfect wife and let’s just face it, that is not going to happen…  I found myself asking myself (wait does that beginning of a sentence make any sense at all?) why am I not looking to God to bring me a man who’s self will mesh so well with mine that he will see and love my faults and I will see and love his and our flaws will be outshone by the love we have for God and each other… Instead of compiling a list of ‘dream guy’ qualities I have decide to compile a list of must haves for a future husband, so that when some guy finally comes around, showing interest in me, I won’t be so in awe of his interest that I will forget that God wants me to have a godly husband. So here goes list number 2 (the man of my reality)

Christian (not just a ‘let’s sit in our regular pew and listen to a sermon once a week’ kind of Christian but a guy who will lead me in my walk with Christ, and eventually our children.
Family Man (Let’s face it, some day I am going to want kids and I love kids, they are my passion, so I need a man who shares that love of children, who will raise children who love and admire their father)
Funny and Quirky (Sorry, no serious guy for me… if he is going to put up with me he is going to have to have some sort of a sense of humor)
Respectable (A man who people look at and respect, who people know is a good man, not a man of questionable integrity)
Love Me (Once again I am going to use this phrase ‘let’s face it’… no man is going to match up to my ideals, but God has a man in mind for me, and when I find out who it is I might be surprised… but God’s got a plan and it’s better than mine!)

Jeremiah 29:11 says: “For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” It goes on to say in verse 12, “Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you.” Yea, God’s got it under control, He knows what’s up and He knows what He’s doing… and I would say He’s orchestrated a good many marriages in His time (ha, all of eternity!) so I couldn’t put my trust in better hands… Does this mean I will stop dreaming about my ‘dream guy’? NO! Does this mean when I watch a football game on TV, I won’t search the internet to see if some random QB is a Christian? Probably Not… But ultimately I am letting God choose Mr. Right for Me!! And I bet when He brings us together it will be better than a dream! = ) 

No comments:

Post a Comment